NVQ in Occupational Safety & Health Level 3
National Vocational Qualifications are awarded following an assessment of skills as they are applied in a work situation according to standards developed by relevant vocational bodies.
In order to achieve an NVQ candidates theoretical knowledge must reach an agreed standard and their jobs must enable them to put that knowledge into practice. This process is continually assessed by an independent assessor.
The benefits of achieving an NVQ
One of the great benefits of the NVQ assessment programme is that it takes into account what you can already do and what you already know. If you have been working for some time, you will have acquired a range of skills and knowledge for which you can gain credit towards your NVQ.
Who is this qualification aimed that?
This qualification is designed for people who are not dedicated health and safety professionals but whose role involves the general area of health and safety practice e.g. managers and supervisors with health and safety responsibilities.
Do I need any previous qualifications?
Candidates do not need any previous qualifications although a good standard of literacy and numeracy are expected and some experience in the field of health and safety would be advantageous.
What is the structure of this qualification?
Candidates must complete five mandatory units and complete two optional units from a choice of four.
- HSS1 Make sure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
- HSS2 Develop procedures to safely control work operations
- HSS3 Monitor procedures to safely control work operations
- HSS4 Promote a healthy and safe culture within the workplace
- HSS6 Conduct a health and safety assessment of a workplace
Optional units: (Candidates must complete any two from these)
- HSS5 Investigate and evaluate health and safety incidents and complaints in the workplace
- HSS7 Make sure your own actions within the workplace aim to protect the environment
- HSS8 Review health and safety procedure in workplaces
- HSS9 Supervise the health, safety and welfare of a learner in the workplace